debugging bash

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Mar 1 16:44:28 MST 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 15:19, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 March 2007 14:59, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> > > Sadly this is an init script.
> >
> > Last I knew, init scripts were not constrained to be written in bash.
> >

> > /*
> > Don't fear the penguin.
> > */
>
> trying to stay somewhat standards compliant.  I haven't seen many distros
> writing init scripts in anything but bash

I am not aware of a standard that specifies the language used for init
scripts. (That doesn't mean there isn't one.  System V might specify it--but
I don't know.)

You could say that there is at least a defacto standard for the
interface--accepting start|stop|status|restart and additional specific
parameters.

I don't see why you couldn't just as easily write an init script in
perl/python/C/whatever.