Westhost experiences

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Sat Jun 30 15:14:44 MDT 2007

On Sat, June 30, 2007 10:38, Chris Simiskey wrote:
> As far as what you are looking for, that is important. Our VPS hosting is
> not true VPS, so while you can do a lot that you can't do in standard shared
> hosting, such as manage your own mysql or apache settings, you also do not
> have root access, thus preventing installation of some software, and/or
> upgrading some existing software. Many things can be worked around if you
> have time, energy, and smarts to do so.

> we charge a lot of pretty (or ugly, if it suits you) pennies, but I don't
> think its too bad of a deal, since all but the most lowly packages can ssh
> in and do what they like to apachae, mysql, etc.
>
> And no, I'm no company shill, feel free to ask Haak, or Simpkins about me
> =-)

I guess it's my turn to chime in. As another former WestHost employee (Sr.
Linux System Administrator) I could say a lot about the offering. Without a
doubt I enjoyed managing and moving clients to the WestHost dedicated server
platform over any other product. If you are considering WestHost I highly
recommend the entry level dedicated server plan. It fits many small-medium
site needs, and you can get quite a few upgrades to the account as needed. As
far as the technology goes, it is not a hardware virtualized or
para-virtualized environment as Chris previously pointed out. It is important
to understand what that means, but for most sites this isn't an issue.

WestHost does have real people providing support, and they do put quite a few
resources in to it for a low-cost offering. For issues the techs can't handle
you end up having to talk to Simiskey or their current Jr./Sr. level admins
(which could mean waiting hours or days depending on work load). I don't know
what the experience level of all the current admins are, but things are still
running so I'm going to guess they are competent. :) The WestHost forums are a
good place for help as well. Some WestHost users have come up with great
tricks to overcome a few of the limitations.

I am happy to offer some free one-on-one consultation to anyone interested in
Linux hosting platforms. I specialize in Enterprise class systems
(high-performance and availability) and I can tell you if you need such a
solution. If WestHost will be a good fit for you, I'll be honest and tell you
so. Feel free to contact me off-list.

-Ryan