a partial solution found for keeping a mail gateway and using google apps mail

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jun 30 11:44:39 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 10:28 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 23:57 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> > a fairly easy and google-recommended solution for keeping
> > control over the MX of the domain and delivering some but
> > not all mail to my own server
>
> Do you have a link to the google page that talks about this?

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=60730

This works fine on the free level of service.  The only thing you can't
do with the free service is route your out-going mail (from google)
through your own mail server.

Another idea I have, which builds on the idea in the Google document of
a subdomain and mx record, is to set up another pseudo subdomain, maybe
called l.mydomain.com (l for local) and MX records pointing to my
server.  If the normal MX record for domain.com also points to my
server, I can then set up aliases in postfix for the local users that
forward to the appropriate user @l.mydomain.com.  Then I set the
transport in postfix for @mydomain.com to relay to google's MX.  This
setup would be better than my last solution, as I wouldn't have to
specify each and every google user (and nickname) in the aliases file,
only the users I want to deliver locally.

Michael