Westhost experiences

Chris Simiskey chris at simiskey.com
Sat Jun 30 10:38:12 MDT 2007

On 6/29/07, David Haak <david.haak at gmail.com> wrote:

> As a previous employee, I can definitely say that it depends *a lot* on
> who
> you talk to when calling for technical support, as to whether or not you
> get
> someone competent.
>
> On 6/29/07, Brian Beardall <brian at rapsure.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have experience with WestHost. They are reliable, and have 24/7
> > customer support, and do try to take care of their customers. There are
> > people there that are very proficient with Linux. Can depend on who to
> > talk to though. What are you try to do?
> >

> As a current employee... I can agree with Dave, it depends a lot on who
you get. For the most part we have a good bunch of frontline tech support,
but as with any company, some are better than others.

As far as what you are looking for, that is important. Our VPS hosting is
not true VPS, so while you can do a lot that you can't do in standard shared
hosting, such as manage your own mysql or apache settings, you also do not
have root access, thus preventing installation of some software, and/or
upgrading some existing software. Many things can be worked around if you
have time, energy, and smarts to do so.

we charge a lot of pretty (or ugly, if it suits you) pennies, but I don't
think its too bad of a deal, since all but the most lowly packages can ssh
in and do what they like to apachae, mysql, etc.

And no, I'm no company shill, feel free to ask Haak, or Simpkins about me
=-)

-Chris