Fwd: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, June 19

Jason Hall jayce at lug-nut.com
Tue Jun 19 13:39:58 MDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, June 19

 If you cannot read the information below, click
here<http://www.oreillynet.com/oreilly/ug/newsletters.csp>
.
 [image: O'Reilly.com] <http://www.oreilly.com>[image: UG Program
Newsletter]

Hi there—

[image: viguy] Hope your summer is off to a great start. I know mine is.

I had great fun at my first Tech*Ed in Orlando, FL. Thanks to everyone who
stopped by to say hi. I would also like to thank all the hard working INETA
<http://www.ineta.org/>leaders for putting on another successful User Group
Leader Summit. I look forward to visiting more. Here's a
photo<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/06/on_the_road_in_orlando_fl_for_1.html>of
the Florida UG leaders.

INETA with the Help of Culminis <http://culminis.org/>organized all the
Birds of a Feather sessions at Tech*Ed this year.

Thanks to everyone who attened Ignite Boston last month. The event was a
blast and we hope to plan more. Here's a
list<http://www.oreillynet.com/ignite/blog//2007/05/ignite_boston_agenda_1.html>of
speakers and some Flickr
photos <http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/igniteboston/>.

Do you have a Code Camp or other special event coming up? Don't forget to
ask me for books and catalogs for your attendees. Just send me the list of
books, the shipping location, and give me enough time to get them there.

Travel alert:

If you are going to be in Portland, OR for OSCON or Ubuntu Live the week of
July 22 let me know (if I already asked you, no need to tell me again.) It
would be great to find a time to meet you.

Lastly, if you would prefer to receive this email in text instead of HTML,
drop me a line.

Thanks for your help!

—Marsee
------------------------------

In this issue:

   - O'Reilly UG Program News—Just for User Group
Leaders<#11345133632e8f4e_ugprogram>
   - New Releases <#11345133632e8f4e_newreleases>
   - Upcoming Events <#11345133632e8f4e_upcoming>
   - Conference News <#11345133632e8f4e_conferencenews>
   - News from O'Reilly & Beyond <#11345133632e8f4e_news>

------------------------------

 O'Reilly UG Program News—Just for User Group Leaders

------------------------------

Put Up a Banner Get a Free Book
We're looking for user groups to display our discount banners on their web
sites. If you send me your group's site with one or more banners, I'll send
you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from the following list:

   - New! RailsConf Europe <http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/railsconf/eu/>
   - School of Technology Banners <http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/sot/>
   - Open Source Convention <http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/oscon/>
   - Ubuntu Live Conference <http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/ubuntu/>
   - O'Reilly Energy Innovation
Conference<http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/energyinnovate/>
   - 35% off User Group Discount
Banner<http://ug.oreilly.com/banners/discount/>

------------------------------

O'Reilly News for User Group Members

New Releases: Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts

[image: book]Get 35% off from O'Reilly, No Starch, Paraglyph, PC Publishing,
Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook, SitePoint, or YoungJin books you purchase
directly from O'Reilly.

*Just use code "DSUG"* when ordering online
<http://www.oreilly.com/store/>or by phone 800-998-9938.

*Free ground shipping* on orders of $29.95 or more. See
details<http://www.oreilly.com/news/freeshipping_0703.html>
.

Did you know you can request a free book or PDF to review for your group?
Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html<http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html>

New Releases: Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts:

   - Adding Ajax <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529369>
   - Adobe Photoshop CS3 One-on-One
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529758>
   - Ajax with PHP 5 <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514037>
   - bash Cookbook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526788>
   - Beautiful Code <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510046>
   - Cubase 4 Tips and Tricks <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/190600501X>(
   *PC Publishing*)
   - The Definitive ANTLR Reference
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0978739256> (*Pragmatic Bookshelf*)
   - Dreamweaver CS3: The Missing Manual
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510435>
   - Essential ActionScript 3.0
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526948>
   - Excel Hacks, Second Edition
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528348>
   - Flash CS3: The Missing Manual
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510442>
   - Flex Early Evaluation: Assessing Flex and Your Project Needs
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/evaluator1>
   - GIS for Web Developers <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/974514098>
(*Pragmatic
   Bookshelf*)
   - Learning WCF <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101626>
   - Learning Web Design, Third Edition
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527525>
   - Low Budget Shooting (Hard
Cover)<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1933952105>(
   *Rocky Nook*)
   - Making Your Mark in Second Life: Business, Land, and Money
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514174>
   - Manage It! <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/0978739248> (*Pragmatic
   Bookshelf*)
   - Mastering Perl <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527242>
   - Music Projects with Ableton Live
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1870775260> (*PC Publishing*)
   - Network Warrior <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101510>
   - The Nikon D200 Dbook (Hard
Cover)<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781933952147>(
   *Rocky Nook*)
   - Practical Packet Analysis
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271497> (*No Starch*)
   - Reaching a Global Online Audience
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596513733>
   - Ruby by Example <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271480> (*No
   Starch*)
   - Setting Up Google Apps Standard Edition
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514877>
   - Simply JavaScript <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780980285802> (*
   SitePoint*)
   - Ubuntu for Non-Geeks, Second Edition
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271527> (*No Starch*)
   - Understanding Oracle Clinical
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596550059>
   - Windows Vista Accelerated
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/8931434383> (*Young Jin*)
   - Windows Vista Administration: The Definitive Guide
   <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529598>
   - Yahoo! Pipes <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514532>

 MAKE Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you subscribe
with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four more for $34.95. So
subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer for UG Members: five
volumes for the cost of four.

Subscribe at: http://www.makezine.com/go/ugsub

Craft Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you subscribe
with this link, you'll get a free issue--the first one plus four more for
$34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer for
charter subscribers: five volumes for the cost of four.

Subscribe at: http://www.craftzine.com/go/craftug
------------------------------

Upcoming Events
For more events, please see: events.oreilly.com

 * Stephen Johnson conducts workshop in
Ireland<http://www.sjphoto.com/digital-photo-wksp-ireland.html>
*  * Jun 20-30, 2007 *  Ireland  Join Stephen Johnson(*Stephen Johnson on
Digital Photography* <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/stephenjohnson>) and
Anthony Hobbs for an unforgettable journey along the rustic West Coast of
Ireland. This workshop will include hotel stays in several towns along our
route from County Clare towards Achill Island. Along the way, participants
will explore western Ireland's landscape with its rugged coast, lush greens,
rocky islands, lake-filled valleys and remote castles. Enrollment is limited
to 12.

 * Stephen Johnson -- From RAW to Print in One
Week<http://www.sjphoto.com/raw-to-print-workshop.html>
*  * Jun 25-29, 2007 *  Stephen Johnson Studios & Gallery and San Mateo
Coast
Pacifica, CA  Join Stephen Johnson (*Stephen Johnson on Digital
Photography*<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/stephenjohnson>)
for an intense immersion into digital photography. Topics include practical
experience with digital exposure, RAW processing, image editing, color
management and printing. Call to register: 650-355-7507. Enrollment limited
to 10.

 * Michele Leroux Bustamante at the SoCal Code
Camp<http://www.socalcodecamp.com/>
*  * Jun 30-Jul 1, 2007 *  UCSD Extension Complex
La Jolla, CA  Michele Leroux Bustamante (*Learning
WCF*<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101626/index.html>)
is offering two sessions "What is CardSpace and why should I care? " and
"Building a Claims-Based Security Model with WCF" at this Southern
California Code Camp

 * Guadec 2007 <http://www.guadec.org/> *  * Jul 15-21, 2007 *  UCE
Birmingham Conservatoire
Birmingham, England  In its 8th consecutive year; GUADEC 2007 is being held
at the UCE Birmingham Conservatoire, in Birmingham, England, from Sunday
15th July, until Saturday 21st of July 2007. Jono Bacon (*Linux Desktop
Hacks* <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdeskhks/index.html>) will be
among the speakers. Visit the O'Reilly booth and where you can purchase our
books at 35% discount.

 * Bruce Tate and Justin Gehtland at Enterprise Ruby
Conference<http://erubycon.com/>
*  * Jul 16-18, 2007 *  Quest Conference Center
8405 Pulsar Place, Columbus, OH  Authors Bruce Tate (Ruby on Rails: Up and
Running <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyrails/index.html>, Better,
Faster, Lighter Java <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava/index.html>,
and Beyond Java <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/beyondjava/index.html>) and
Justin Gehtland (Better, Faster, Lighter
Java<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava/index.html>and Spring:
A Developer's Notebook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/springadn/index.html>)
will be presenting at the Enterprise Ruby Conference in Columbus, Ohio, a
conference demonstrating Ruby?s place in the Enterprise.

 * Gordon Meyer at the Southeastern Wisconsin Windows User
Group<http://www.sewwug.com/news.asp>
*  * Jul 18, 2007 *  Brookfield, Wisconsin  Author Gordon Meyer (*Smart Home
Hacks* <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/smarthomehks/>) makes an appearance
at this month's meeting. Learn how to put your computer to work around the
house.

 ------------------------------

Conference News
[image: O'Reilly TOC Conference]
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/toc/>O'Reilly
TOC Conference <http://toc/>
June 18-20, 2007
San Jose, CA
Use code "toc07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

[image: O'Reilly Open Source Convention
2007]<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/>O'Reilly
Open Source Convention 2007 <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/oscon/>
July 23-27, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Use code "os07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

[image: Ubuntu Live Conference] <http://www.ubuntulive.com>Ubuntu
Live<http://www.ubuntulive.com>
July 22-24, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Use code "ubu07dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

[image: O'Reilly Energy Innovation
Conference]<http://www.energyinnovation.com>O'Reilly
Energy Innovation Conference <http://www.energyinnovation.com>
August 22-24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Use code "ei07usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

[image: O'Reilly RailsConf Europe] <http://www.railsconfeurope.com/>O'Reilly
RailsConf Europe <http://www.railsconfeurope.com/>
September 17-19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Use code "re07usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the early
registration price.

For complete conference information, go to: http://conferences.oreilly.com/
------------------------------

News from O'Reilly & Beyond

General News

*Why Do People Write Free
Documentation?*<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/14/why-do-people-write-free-documentation-results-of-a-survey.html>
Results of a Survey Writing documentation is a thankless job when you're
getting paid for it, so why in the world would people voluntarily do it for
free? Andy Oram wondered just that, so he conducted a survey. Now he's here
to present the results and some conclusions he's drawn.

*David Pogue: Now a
Badass*<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/photoshop-shenanigans/david-pogue-now-a-badass-at-least-in-this-gallery-265777.php>
Gizmodo recently received over 100 entries to a challenge to make the NY
Times tech guru (and O'Reilly author) cool. Sorry, the contest is over, but
here's the photos.

*Site Licenses for Our Books Now Easier to
Find*<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2007/06/site_licenses_for_our_books.html>
Allen Noren explains how there is now a "Buy PDF Site License" on each
catalog page for content we offer as a PDF.

*Create Create Your Own O'Reilly Shirt, Mug, or
Poster*<http://www.qoop.com/photobooks/photofront/pub_store.php?pub_name=oreilly>
In just three easy steps you can create a one of a kind shirt, mug, or
poster adorned with your favorite O'Reilly animal. Create yours now!

*User Group Members Receive a Special 30% Discount on O'Reilly Learning
Courses* <http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>
As an O'Reilly User Group member, you save on all the courses in the
following University of Illinois Certificate Series:

   - Linux/Unix System Administration
   - Web Programming
   - Open Source Programming
   - .NET Programming
   - Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1," good for a 30% discount, in Step #3
of the enrollment process. Each course comes with a free O'Reilly book and a
7-day money-back guarantee. Register
online<http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>.

------------------------------

Open Source

[image: Hawk]*An Introduction to Haskell, Part 1: Why Haskell
*<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/05/21/an-introduction-to-haskell---part-1-why-haskell.html>
Most programmers spend most of their life writing programs using imperative
coding. You tell the computer what to do in a step-by-step fashion. Haskell
is a horse of a different color, it encourages functional programming. Don't
know what that is? Adam Turoff explains all in the first half of an
introduction to Haskell.

*Good and Bad PHP
Code*<http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/05/25/good-and-bad-php-code/>
Kevin Yank discusses examples of good & bad PHP code, and how he tests
people applying for programming positions.

*A Holiday Gantry Web Application
*<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/14/a-holiday-gantry-web-application.html>
Ruby on Rails may get all the attention as a quick and easy way to implement
CRUD-type screens, but there are similar packages available for other
languages. Phil Crow shows how Gantry, a Perl-based CRUD generator, saved
Christmas.

*Creating MyTube with Flex and PHP
*<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/06/14/a-holiday-gantry-web-application.html>
Flex is Adobe's answer to the problem of finding a multi-platform
environment for rich browser applications. Jack Herrington highlights some
of the power of Flex by showing how you can combine it with PHP to produce a
quick and easy video blogging site.
------------------------------

Digital Media

[image: lizard]*dekeBytes: Palettes Aren't Panels (Vampires Aren't
Zombies)*<http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2007/06/palettes_arent_panels_vampires_1.html>
Deke McClelland Explains "With the release of its CS3 products, Adobe has
once again ever so slightly shifted its official marketing and documentation
language. The newest casualty? Palettes. Palettes no longer exist. The word
'palettes' has been struck from the Adobe lexicon. Those things that were
palettes are now 'panels.'"

*Joe Schorr on iPhoto to
Aperture*<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/06/01/iphoto-to-aperture.html>
Many photographers have scores of valuable images stored in iPhoto
libraries. As Aperture becomes incorporated into the workflow, what's the
best way to move those pictures to the Aperture environment? And what if you
want to share your Raw files with both iPhoto and Aperture? In this podcast,
Joe Schorr, senior product manager for Aperture, explains all of the inside
tricks for working with both iPhoto and Aperture libraries.
------------------------------

Mac

[image: IrishSetter]*WWDC Keynote: Oh Boy, Just What I Always Wanted
*<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/06/12/wwdc-keynote-report.html>
Learn about the new features announced in Leopard, Safari for Windows, and
the way iPhone development is going to work. Daniel Steinberg reports from
this year's WWDC keynote.

*iPod Mic Shootout*<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/05/18/ipod-mic-shootout.html>
Apple finally added "CD-quality" recording to the iPod. But how good is it
really? Recording engineer Mark Nelson plugs in three leading add-on mics
and records voice and guitar to find out.

*Hit-and-Run: Launching AppleScripts with Keyboard Shortcuts
*<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2007/06/08/hit-and-run-launching-applescripts-with-keyboard-shortcuts.html>
AppleScript automation is one of OS X's most useful features, and it can be
made even better with the use of keyboard shortcuts. Jochen Wolters examines
three ways to assign a keyboard shortcut to an AppleScript, and digs in to
FastScripts and Quicksilver in this detailed tutorial.
------------------------------

Microsoft/.NET

[image: Tuna]*Managing Printing in Your .NET Application
*<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/windows/2007/05/15/managing-printing-in-your-net-application.html>
The .NET Framework makes it easy to support printing. In this article,
Wei-Meng Lee shows you the basics of printing in .NET 2.0, including how to
configure page setup, print multiple pages, preview a document before it is
printed, as well as let users select a printer to which to print.

*Implementing and Understanding
DHCP*<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/windows/2007/06/12/implementing-and-understanding-dhcp.html>
Setting up DHCP on tens, hundreds, and even thousands of computers can be
daunting. Here's how to do it easily with Windows Server 2003.
------------------------------

Java

[image: Fox]*Agile Database Refactoring with Hibernate
*<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/06/07/agile-database-refactoring-with-hibernate.html>
Your data model was near perfect when your application was first written.
Since then, it has...evolved. In this article, we will show readers how to
upgrade their faulty schemas and data models without affecting existing
applications or processes.

*Using the Lucene Query Parser Without
Lucene*<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2007/05/24/using-the-lucene-query-parser-without-lucene.html>
This article shows how to use the Lucene Query Parser to build search
capability into your application, adapting it onto a legacy database rather
than using the entire Lucene package.
------------------------------

Web

[image: bees]*Google Shuts Down Made-For-AdSense Sites
*<http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/05/23/google-shuts-down-arbitrage-and-mfa-publishers/>
An overview of Google's new policies on arbirtrage and made-for-Adsense
sites.

*Breaking out of the Box with
CSS*<http://www.sitepoint.com/article/breaking-out-of-the-box/>
Paul explains how to test your web apps to ensure they can handle heavy user
demand.
Until next time—
Marsee Henon

[image: Spreading the knowledge of innovators.]
<http://www.oreilly.com/>[image:
O'Reilly.com] <http://www.oreilly.com>
 O'Reilly Media, Inc. 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472
http://ug.oreilly.com/   http://ug.oreilly.com/creativemedia/