Low-Cost/Free Service Monitoring

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Jun 27 13:56:04 MDT 2007

On Wed, June 27, 2007 13:45, Daniel wrote:
> I am willing to show my ignorance on this one.  I would like to do
> something similar in the future.  By the time I actually get around to
> this computers will be obsolete, but I want the knowledge beforehand.
>
> Here is my query, couldn't you put all of the servers behind a pfSense
> firewall (http://www.pfsense.com/) and use that to monitor what is
> going on?
>
> Again I could be way off base, but I also want to know if that is a solution.

Perhaps that could work in some cases. In my case the servers are geo-diverse
so putting them all behind one device isn't an option. In fact, that is the
main challenge. It is amazing how much money people want for an automated
service that makes a TCP/IP connection, then sends out an e-mail here and
there when stuff fails. Professionally I use keynote.com and gomez.com. Very
expensive services, but they do extensive and complex web site testing.
Keynote is especially complex, I've used them to test wide-ranging geo
location performance (with cross-site performance, etc).