Low-Cost/Free Service Monitoring

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Jun 27 13:54:20 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 13:11 -0600, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> I have a collection of Linux servers providing various services (web, e-mail,
> ftp) that I'd like to monitor. I am already using Nagios, but I've seen some
> issues latley where a third party service monitoring solution (with decent
> geo-diversity) would be very helpful. Because these are personal/secondary
> servers I don't want to pay much (free is the best).

I've been sitting on an idea for a while to provide some sort of p2p
monitoring. Everybody pools their services and mutually monitors the
others. Each person could monitor maybe 3-5 other people's devices. That
means that you would in turn be monitored by 3-5 others. Maybe 1 or two
would be more appropriate.

I think I'd be willing to moderate something like that if there's enough
interest. Any takers?

Corey