Hosting, from me!

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Jun 26 21:36:50 MDT 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 at 20:53 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> Brandon Stout wrote:
> >Von Fugal wrote:
> >>You know what woulb be slick as a pengiun on a rainy day... A service
> >>where you provide a public ip address to the NATed who wish not to be
> >>so, but have little option. You could do some kind of openvpn thing or
> >>otherwise do some kind of virtual interface so as far as the os is
> >>concerned you simply have an interface with a public ip. You could even
> >>go Hamachi style for windows folk.
> >>
> >>Von Fugal
> >
> >Or... you could forgoe the NAT thing altogether - something built to
> >get around the limited number of available IP addresses on the
> >Internet, and go IP V6...  The VPS v3 FreBSD and Linux plans both
> >offer IP V6.
>
> Von,
>
> I for one think that's a fantastic idea!
>
> Brandon,
>
> Most people don't use NAT by choice. Besides, IPv6 is not exactly widely
> adopted at this point. Do *any* ISP's in Utah offer it?

I agree with both of you. I think it may be technically feasible to
tunnel the traffic via ipv6, perhaps with some kind of tunnel. In the
end though how it's tunneled won't matter so much as that it's easy to
set up, portable (for laptop users), and reliable. It is an enticing idea.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach