Subject: Re: SPF, Hotmail, and Yahoo mail

Chad Butler chad.butler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:07:29 MDT 2007

On 25 Jun 2007, at 16:29, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> On Monday 25 June 2007, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Some alert readers may recall a discussion I started some time back
>> trying to solve the mystery of why hotmail would drop my emails.
>> Today I
>> finally setup an SPF record for my domain hoping to solve the as yet
>> unresolved problem. Does anyone know how long it ought to take
>> hotmail
>> to notice my SPF record? And more imprtantly: will it even make a
>> difference?
>>
>> According to dnsreport.com, the SPF record showed up immediately, but
>> enterprisey services like hotmail tend to cache stuff like this I
>> imagine. Thoughts?
>
> Shouldn't be longer than your dns ttl I would think.

SPF records will certainly make a difference in assuring that your
mail is delivered but if you have gotten yourself on a blacklist, you
will have to do some additional work before the SPF records will help.

I had to work with hotmail/msn on a similar issue some time ago.
Their email administrators informed me that hotmail (as well as many
of the other major email providers) use the Symantec Brightmail
filter.  They directed me to work with Brightmail support to get my
address de-listed.

I started my search here:
http://postmaster.msn.com/Services.aspx#SenderSolutions

IIRC, the hotmail administrators gave me the contact information I
needed to send a request to Brightmail's team.  I hope this helps.

Chad Butler