Hosting, from me!

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Tue Jun 26 15:10:22 MDT 2007

I sent a similar email to UPHPU, and thought I'd send one here as well.
This email addresses two things:

 1. I can help host for less, and I'm negotiable (cost, friends sharing
a server cost with friends, etc)
 2. I'm potentially looking for partners

Therefore, if you are looking for hosting options, or if you are looking
to help me start a hosting service, read on.

I recently signed up to be a reseller with Verio.  Maybe it'll even
replace my phone-call taking job with Verio if I find enough success
with this.  I have no servers yet - first I want to find some partners -
people who want to share the cost, the time, and the profits.  I can get
any server plan with Verio for less than the price listed on their site
- not because I'm an employee taking advantage of things, but because
I'm now a contracted third party reseller.  It costs less partly because
I (and anyone who joins me) will offer tech support instead of Verio -
and UPHPU members probably don't need as much support.

I can offer several hosting options, including (my first choices are the
top 2):

FreeBSD VPS 3 - this has root access to a virtual machine, Apache 2.2,
MySQL 5, PHP 5, and other up-to-date technologies.
Linux VPS - same as above, but with Red Hat Linux (or a close spin-off).
Signature shared hosting.
Automatic online PC drive backup.

I also have a 64 bit LAMP (OpenSuse 10.2, Apache HTTP Server 2.2.x,
MySQL 5.0.x, PHP 5.2.x) server at home that I'm open to sharing, but
it's currently limited to 800+ k upload speed.

Email me off list if you are interested, or send comments to the list
with suggestions.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org