Postfix relaying question

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jun 26 09:23:12 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 09:05 -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> I've been puzzling over why you would want to do this.  May I guess
> that you're trying to go mixed on Google Services for your domain?
> That's a brilliant idea if that's what you're doing.  I may have to do
> the same.

I actually have two situations where I'll need this.  One is at work
where we're going to implement a smtp server in our DMZ, and then it
will relay mail to our internal SMTP server (which has NFS mounts).

Then for personal use, I do want to implement a hybrid Google Apps
system.  I want my server to be first in the MX list, and to pick up the
mail, deliver it to my few "local" imap users, and then relay the rest
to Google, which will know what to do with it.

I discovered that Google requires you to completely change your MX
records to point to them to enable Google Mail, but after that, I'm
hoping to add my server back into the MX record.

And it does look like indeed Postfix is perfectly capable of doing this
kind of relaying.  I'll be sure to post when I get it all working.

Michael