Postfix relaying question

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jun 26 09:19:59 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 09:11 -0600, Kirk Cerny wrote:
> Could this be dangerous?
> Does this turn your machine into an open relay?
> Relaying all mail the machine does not know how to deal with sounds
> like an open relay.

Nope.  Mail can only go to the SMTP servers that I designate.

As I said before, this setup is very common in an enterprise.  Usually a
gateway SMTP server will receive all the mail and then, based on a
number of criteria, relay the mail through regional or departmental SMTP
servers.  The criteria that controls the relaying could be anything,
really, from domain to username.