SPF, Hotmail, and Yahoo mail

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Mon Jun 25 18:07:17 MDT 2007

On 25 Jun 2007, at 16:29, Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> On Monday 25 June 2007, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Some alert readers may recall a discussion I started some time back
>> trying to solve the mystery of why hotmail would drop my emails.
>> Today I
>> finally setup an SPF record for my domain hoping to solve the as yet
>> unresolved problem. Does anyone know how long it ought to take
>> hotmail
>> to notice my SPF record? And more imprtantly: will it even make a
>> difference?
>>
>> According to dnsreport.com, the SPF record showed up immediately, but
>> enterprisey services like hotmail tend to cache stuff like this I
>> imagine. Thoughts?
>
> Shouldn't be longer than your dns ttl I would think.

That is the main idea behind TTL, but not all servers honor it.  I
would give it 24-48 hours if you are not seeing success already.

One thing to help with the big boys free email (hotmail, yahoo, etc.)
make sure to take care of any warnings that DNSreport gives you.  I
found some on a domain that was having problems sending mail to the
big boys and fixing those warnings seem to have solved the problem.

Jonathan