Postfix relaying question

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jun 25 15:07:06 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 13:17 -0600, Kirk Cerny wrote:
> I have not rried it but, you could use a regex in the virtual file to
> match all after all the other matches, and forward them to there
> desired location.
>
> # virtual file
> /^(.*)@(.*)$/    $1@$2

Nope that won't work.  I need to forward mail to a particular MX, not an
e-mail address.  in other words blah at blah.com gets forwarded to SERVER
B, which takes care of blah at blah.com.  The e-mail address it is going to
is still blah at blah.com.

A common use case for this type of things is a SMTP server that accepts
mail, then, based on the address (and/or the domain) relays the mail on
to the server that handles those addresses.  For example, a corporation
may have a corporate e-mail server that sends mail off to regional
servers based on some criteria that could even be something to do with
the username part.

In my case I'm using Google Apps for domains, but I want my server to
accept all the mail first, processing the accounts that it has, and then
sending whatever it doesn't want to deal with off to google's MX where
the rest of my users are managed.

I'll keep researching.

Michael