Some questions from my dad, who may go Linux...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Jun 24 19:06:28 MDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 06:40:44PM -0600, Brandon Stout wrote:
> Hey y'all, I'm building a system for my dad, or he may get a Dell, which
> you can now get with Ubuntu pre-packaged.  He has a few questions.  I'm

> >  * What about the printers I have?
>
> Linux supports most printers.  I recall that you have a HP PhotoSmart
> 1100.  Most, and perhaps all HP printers work well in Linux.  I'm
> pleased with my HP printer (which is also my scanner).

HP maintains the drivers for HP printers. See
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/.

> >  * Internet surfing?
>
> Definitely.  You can choose between several browsers, all of which have
> few problems than Internet Explorer, and all of which I personally like
> more than IE.  Furthermore, 2/3 of the Internet is hosted on Linux
> servers.  Not only can you surf, you can host... easily.

If you prefer the Mac's Safari browser, use Konqueror. Safari is
Konqueror warmed over, and Apple donated their improvements back to
the code base.

> >I still have questions about going Linux as you can see.
>
> No problem.  Ask away.  Another thing to consider:  Trying it costs you
> nothing.  If you don't like it, you can still buy Windows Vista Home for
> somewhere between $120 and $200 (OEM), and not lose another dollar.

Until he gets attacked by a cracker.

Invite your dad to join us and ask his own questions. I cannot speak
for anyone else here, but I will be polite.