moving one drive to another...

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jun 23 13:09:38 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 12:59 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> I need some sage advice about moving my system from 80 gb drive, where
> several folders are on separate partitions, over to a new 400 gb drive, with
> just one partition.
>
> I run Debian 3.1. I have formatted the new drive, as ext3 with journaling
> setup. I can mount the drive, but am unsure now how to move my system over.
> I want to set up grub on the new drive, and then blitz the existing old
> drive and use in another machine.
>
> Please advise!

Transferring a linux system is a matter of:
- transferring all the files
- editing fstab to refer to the new partition layout
- editing grub.conf if necessary to specify the root partition (the
partition where grub is actually living), and the paths to the kernel
relative to the partition where grub lives
- run grub-install and install the boot loader to the new  drive

The last part is kind of tricky. I usually boot on knoppix and chroot
into my new hard drive install (be sure to mount proc and sys).  An
alternative is to create a boot floppy or CD, and then use that to boot
your new hard drive as the root partition.  Then once it's up, run
grub-install.