[UPHPU] Fwd: Photo Sharing Sites

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 07:16:01 MDT 2007

--- Clint Savage <herlo1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Give me alternates to flickr.  I like it, but isn't there other
> sites out there that have better/different features?  Flickr's
> nice yeah, but I just don't like a few of things about it.

My preference is still Gallery 1 on my own server.  I like how
it's easy to set up and use, the organization makes sense (to me,
at least), and it's nice having all of my photos on my server
where I have full control of backups and such.  I also like the
fact that my only space limitation is how much hard drive I'm
willing to buy.  I have about 8 different instances of Gallery
running on my server for different family members, and they all
seem to like it, too.

Of course, the Gallery folks will try to convince you that you
should be running Gallery 2 now, and there are some nice features
there too, but the one time I tried it, I really didn't like it
much at all.  Your mileage is unconditionally guaranteed to vary,
and all that, but if I had to stop using G1, I'd probably look
into Flickr or another similar service rather than switch to G2.

I do have one family member who prefers to share all her photos
on Winkflash.com.  I really don't know why, except that she can
order prints and books and the like from the same site.  My main
complaint with Winkflash is that the last time I tried to go view
her photos there, they wanted me to sign up for an account, and I
don't want one.