OSX - default media playback

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Jun 18 07:52:35 MDT 2007

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 at 14:27 -0600, Allen Lowe wrote:
> Hey dude, I think you need to install a plugin for quicktime called
> perian, go find it, and make it work. Truth be told, quicktime is
> twice the player vlc is, on the mac, in terms of stability and
> features and what not, you just need to get all the plug-ins to make
> it play everything, also try a program called flip for mac.

That's not the truth. The truth is that VLC and mplayer leave the free
version of Quicktime so far in the dust it isn't even funny.

As for the OP question - there's two issues at hand. First is that
your browser needs to get onboard and second OS X needs to be onboard.
You can have VLC as the default app for avi and your browser still wants
to launch Quicktime. Probably the best situation is to get OS X happy,
then get your browser to use the default OS X settings.

Getting all files of a certain type to open in VLC is more difficult
than it should be. It can be done by hand, but you might consider a
utility like http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

Once all your AVI files show up with VLC icons, then get the browser to
behave if necessary.

Good luck

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net