OSX - default media playback

Christer Edwards christer.edwards at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 16 12:34:34 MDT 2007

I've spend the past few hours fighting with my wifes iMac and that beast
they call quicktime.  I'm hoping someone here can offer some
suggestions.  Here is what I'm trying to do:

I have set up a small media repository on a local linux server in our
home.  This server is shared over http via gnump3d, which allows my wife
to simply navigate a web interface and select audio playlists or select
.avi files to stream to her machine on her browser.

Within Linux it has been simple to setup.  I set the default for .mp3 /
.ogg to play in beep-media-player and selected videos play embedded in
the browser via mplayer.

On the iMac is where I start having problems.. the video will begin
playback embedded in her browser but there is no audio.  My guess is
that quicktime doesn't support the codec the video was generated with..
probably divx or something else.  (Yes, I did install the divx for mac
plugin to no avail.)  The video *will* playback within vlc on the same
machine.  *How can I tell quicktime to go home and stay home, and let
the media be handled by vlc?* (even if that means firefox asks me what
I'd like to do with the file..)

Is there any good reason to even keep quicktime? should I just uninstall it?

Thank you,
Christer