pfSense experiences

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Jun 15 14:53:54 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 12:00 -0600, Steven Alligood wrote:
> There are many reasons people buy commercial products, and they are not
> all just for support or to use up a budget.  Some of the commercial
> products are really good.
>
> All I am trying to say is that on an enterprise or even carrier grade
> level, often the commercial product will blow the open source ones out
> of the water.  It's how they make money.

The key words here being "often" and "some". I have not found a
correlation between price paid and quality of the product. Cue Stuart to
rant about enterprise software. I've used expensive equipment that
wasn't worth its weight in cow manure. OTOH I will swear by Cisco
routers and Foundry switches. They are rock solid (and expensive).

Back to the OPs question, one device I would mention is Mikrotik. It's a
weird name, I'll give you that, but the software is solid. Toss in a
Routerboard and you've got a sweet little firewall/router that we use
primarily for bandwidth shaping but also have deployed a few as wireless
APs, some with captive portals. The software is all Linux based.

Corey