pfSense experiences

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 08:42:32 MDT 2007

--- Daniel <teletautala at gmail.com> wrote:
> We, at my work, am looking at putting firewalls at each school.
> The throughput for each school is at max 35MBs.  I am in
> contact with someone that sells pfSense appliances and I
> don't know much about it.  His company is willing to sell us
> appliances at $500 a piece with a warranty.  We want most of
> the features of it, but we want someone to set it up for us
> and fine tune it with us.  Is there anyone out there that has
> experience with pfSense or has suggestions on an alternative?

I use pfSense at work, and I've been very pleased with it.  We
spent a bit more than $500 on our setup, but that's only because
we went with a couple of 1U Dell machines to put in our rack
(we're using the CARP failover feature, so we needed two).

The setup is fairly easy, the UI is well designed, and it has
all of the features we wanted.