pfSense experiences

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 08:06:42 MDT 2007

Look no further than pfSense for your firewall.

I've been using pfSense since the alpha releases - I previously used
m0n0wall.  Before m0n0wall I was using a floppy disk to boot a Linux
based firewall.  I've used pfSense at work and at home.

pfSense will let you enforce QoS(even has a wizard for prioritization
of VoIP & common applications/traffic types).  pfSense allows for
failover & multiple WAN connections, and has multiple VPN types as
part of the standard feature set.

You can add features(packages) if you so desire.  One of my Windows
buddies still marvels at how he doesn't even think about his pfSense
box - it just sits in the closet and runs.

I am currently using pfSense at home with Comcast & Vonage; it allows
me to coexist with BitTorrent nicely, and the pfSense project seems to
have more active development than any of the Linux-based firewall
projects.

It is straightforward to install pfSense yourself, but you could
alternately buy an appliance that contains no moving parts & likely
increase your uptimes to years.  Here's what the console portion of
the pfSense installation looks like:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/584867/install_pfsense_1_2beta1/

Configuration after this point is handled via the web interface.
--
Lars