pfSense experiences

twitchej at xmission.com twitchej at xmission.com
Fri Jun 15 07:16:02 MDT 2007

Quoting Daniel <teletautala at gmail.com>:

> We, at my work, am looking at putting firewalls at each school.  The
> throughput for each school is at max 35MBs.  I am in contact with
> someone that sells pfSense appliances and I don't know much about it.
> His company is willing to sell us appliances at $500 a piece with a
> warranty.  We want most of the features of it, but we want someone to
> set it up for us and fine tune it with us.  Is there anyone out there
> that has experience with pfSense or has suggestions on an alternative?
>
> -Daniel

Daniel,

I built my own appliance using the following readily available parts:

www.soekris.com
   net4801-50	PN: 10480151	$240
   Power Supply	PN: 31321215	$15

Newegg
   Kingston 512mb Compact Flash card	$9.19

http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php
   http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads.php?file=net48xx-1.231.img  $FREE

This makes for a small quite appliance that has no fans, hard drives
or other failure prone hardware. Take a look at these screen shots

  http://m0n0.ch/wall/screenshots.php

  to get an idea what the user interface looks like. Monowall has
worked great for me. If you have any other questions, feel free to
contact me off list.

Regards,

John Twitchell