Video Chat Linux Tools

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jun 9 17:49:05 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 17:31 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> I'd love to commit bug reports to Ekiga, but I think "doesn't connect" and
> "Connection timeout" errors just wouldn't be enough for the developer.  I'll
> look into running it from source in the near future as well...

I should also note that you can only use STUN in ekiga if the person
you're trying to talk to also has connection to a STUN server.  In my
case that's provided by either SIPphone.com or ekiga.net.  So you can't
just call up a random person on any arbitrary SIP network and expect a
STUN connection to be built.  Both end-points have to support STUN and
agree on a server to coordinate the building of the STUN connection.  At
least this is my understanding of how STUN works.

The reason Skype works without fail is because everyone is always
connected to the skype server who can help negotiate and build the
peer-to-peer udp connection.

So any linux voip or video chat client that's not associated with a
major network will likely have problems under certain circumstances when
the peer either doesn't know about STUN or is unable to work with you
via a STUN server (for lack of a better term).  That's probably the root
of your ekiga problems.