VOIP Provider Again

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Jun 6 15:53:45 MDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:19:58 -0600, "Andrew Jorgensen" <andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to top-post but it doesn't make sense for me to in-line my
> response in this case:
>
> Others here know exactly what I meant, but this is a religious issue
> and as such you won't be convinced by what I have to say.  MLMs are
> deceptive and prey on people's ignorance or inability to think for
> themselves.

So, I've not chimed in on this thread yet at all for 2 reasons:  I don't use VOIP, and I don't like MLM's, however, I though I would share my crazy jaded view of MLMs and why they don't work over the long term.  See, when I was a kid, I used to ride my bike all over the place.  One day I discovered that I could by a generator that attached to the back wheel of the bike and would power a set of lights to make my bike more visible at night, and allow me to have a small headlight to light my way.  Right after thinking "Cool!, no batteries!" the next thing I thought was "Why can't I hook up a generator to a motor that makes my bike self-powered?!  I'll just get it rolling by pedaling a little to get the generator going, then the motor can take over."  So, being like 7, I asked my dad, the guy with the PhD in Chemical Engineering and a career in Thermal Heat Fluid Transfer Dynamics where I could get a small motor to fit the bill.

Thus, I learned the laws of thermodynamics, and why such big words as entropy, enthalpy, and physics in general were going to conspire to foil my plan.

Back to MLM's - They are (in my opinion) like my idea to hook a generator off the wheel of a bike to a motor to drive the bike.  Without a constant influx of extra energy / resources from constant customer growth, the whole organization topples.  In this regard, I feel that the MLM business model is fundamentally flawed - the laws of the universe are conspiring against the organization and they rarely last long. (where long is defined as > 25 years of business w/out  huge paradigm shifts in what they sell, how they sell it, or how compensation is structured to their staff).

Just my $0.02.  Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

-- Kimball