Joystick Façade

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Jun 6 15:34:00 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 23:30 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:

> Any kernel hackers with some sage advice, before I go jump in the shark
> pool and ask on the LKML?

I'd be interested in some kind of fuse-like driver that would let me
make fake joystick drivers in any language in userspace.  Then I could
borrow CRCSim's sound-card mic input code and allow my RC radio to
appear (via a buddy cord) as a standard joystick to any program,
X-Plane, or some other random simulation.

I think, though, that the only viable solution for you is to hack the
driver to treat the hats as switches.

X-Plane is very cool, and Austin is good at many things.  But it's a
shame he doesn't recognize the community for what it is, as far as
source and development goes.  I get the feeling most of the development
is being done by people other than Austin these days, pretty much for
free, from what I can tell.

Maybe someday we can build a finite-element analysis flight physics
engine for FlightGear...