Lenovo R51 & Fedora 7

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jun 4 21:09:22 MDT 2007

Jesse Stay wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
>> I've been thinking about moving to Ubuntu. I have hit one problem I'm
>> not sure how to deal with: I'd like to carry over the same /home
>> partition. My user under Fedora is UID 500. This causes problems for
>> Ubuntu. I haven't solved that one yet.
>
> I ran into the same issue.  I just created a new user and started
> using that instead, copying over the files from the other directory I
> need when needed.

Wouldn't the simplest solution just be to change the uid in /etc/passwd
so it matches?  At the very least, you can create a new user in Ubuntu
during install, then use that to add your normal user (adduser), and
then chown the directory.  I'm also thinking that Ubuntu probably always
starts users at the same uid.  if that is the case, then just pre-chown
the folder to that uid.