Lenovo R51 & Fedora 7

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Jun 4 17:49:32 MDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 11:30:54AM -0600, Jesse Stay wrote:
> On 6/4/07, Clint Savage <herlo1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >As far as F7 goes itself, I think its pretty solid.  Give it a
> >couple weeks and the minor bugs should be sorted out.  Seems about
> >normal.
>
> This was the release that finally converted me to Ubuntu.  FC6 I
> could easily get my wireless card working.  F7 - not a chance, and
> Gnome kept freezing on me.  I'm on an IBM Thinkpad R51, which I
> would imagine quite a large number of Linux users use - I find it
> hard to believe Fedora/Redhat did not test on this before release.

I also have an R51 (http://www.charlescurley.com/Lenovo.R51.html), so
I was a bit concerned by your report. I rebooted to the F7 live CD. I
couldn't connect to my network immediately using Network Manager (NM),
even after trying, "create a new network". So I shut NM down, and ran
a script I've written and adapted for several networks. That got me on
my network. I then fired up NM. I selected the option for an existing
network. That time it found my network. I don't know if the different
options, existing vs. new network, made a difference.

Other than that, F7 on the R51 looks very nice.

> If I have to go through that much trouble to get it working, it's
> not worth it to me.  When I loaded Ubuntu, my wireless card worked,
> even during the install - no additional configurations on my part!
> I think both Fedora and Ubuntu have finally convinced me where the
> "real" distro is. :-) I hereby F4 the F7...

I've been thinking about moving to Ubuntu. I have hit one problem I'm
not sure how to deal with: I'd like to carry over the same /home
partition. My user under Fedora is UID 500. This causes problems for
Ubuntu. I haven't solved that one yet.