Drupal and multiple sites

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon Jun 4 15:25:34 MDT 2007

On Mon, June 4, 2007 15:04, Jesse Stay wrote:
> I'm embarking on a project (also needed it at Media General when I was
> there) in my spare time, in which I need to be able to have the
> possibility of shared content, shared across multiple websites.  I
> only want one codebase (preferrably scalable as userbase and content
> grows), with a shared database.  I know Drupal used to not support
> this.  Since I keep hearing topics on Drupal and CMS's on this list, I
> was wondering if any of the Drupal users on the list are aware of such
> functionality.

Drupal is a good fit. I use it for ryansimpkins.com and plug.org (as well as a
few others). You can share codebase easily (see $basedir/sites). Of course, I
wouldn't call Drupal a 'heavyweight' CMS. Something like Joomla/Mambo might be
a better fit. Plone or something mod_perl based would be even better for truly
custom/large scale needs. There are several excellent Ruby based CMSs as well.
It really comes down to what your tolerance for PHP is. Apparently mine is
pretty high. Is that what PHP stands for? Pretty High Pain? ;-)

Of course - have you really evaluated them ALL???

http://www.cmsmatrix.org