Utah Open Source, Fedora 7 and the Open Source Technology Center want to thank you for your participation

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:48:34 MDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Jesse Stay <jesse at thestays.org> wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Clint Savage <herlo1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As far as F7 goes itself, I think its pretty solid.  Give it a couple
> weeks
> > and the minor bugs should be sorted out.  Seems about normal.
>
> This was the release that finally converted me to Ubuntu.  FC6 I could
> easily get my wireless card working.  F7 - not a chance, and Gnome
> kept freezing on me.  I'm on an IBM Thinkpad R51, which I would
> imagine quite a large number of Linux users use - I find it hard to
> believe Fedora/Redhat did not test on this before release.  If I have
> to go through that much trouble to get it working, it's not worth it
> to me.  When I loaded Ubuntu, my wireless card worked, even during the
> install - no additional configurations on my part!  I think both
> Fedora and Ubuntu have finally convinced me where the "real" distro
> is. :-)  I hereby F4 the F7...

Jesse,

First of all, the wireless issue *should* work.  There was extensive work
done for the (intel and others) wireless cards.  I am a bit surprised at
your experience.  My errors were mostly with things like KVM and beryl.  I
didn't have that much trouble getting it installed.  However, if wireless is
your only issue, it sounds like you have higher expectations of proprietary
driver manufacturers than I do.

Anyway, I'd say that there is another argument you might need to address
with regard to "Fedora v Ubuntu", and that is where they started and where
they're going.  Fedora started more on the server side, stable httpd, bind,
postfix, etc. are a given, whereas on Ubuntu, this hasn't been the case
until recently.  With Ubuntu, they focused on Linux for the desktop and gave
it pretty features and user binaries.  Because of this, I think both distros
lack something.

This is a good thing, having both distros driving from different ends of a
spectrum might actually prove to get both distros better overall.  I like
what Fedora has done and will probably never go away from it.  Sure there
are desktop problems, but the server side has always been stable for me.  I
like Ubuntu for its ease of install and flexible user interfaces, but it has
a long way to go on the server side IMO.

I guess the question is, which things do you want to have lacking?  And the
answer isn't just as simple as 'I like Ubuntu because' or 'I like Fedora
because' necessarily.  Pick your OS based upon a target system ad you'll
find that you might choose something different each time.  Who knew!

Cheers,

Clint