ZFS demo

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:32:14 MDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> I have a file server with 12 TB on ZFS, and it's nice and all, but we're
> having some significant performance issues.  Sun assures us they can
> help us tune it, so we'll see.
>
> My personal opinion on Sun and ZFS is souring over time, and at this
> present moment, I think Linux and LVM + XFS probably is good enough for
> most people.

Huh, good to know.  I've never used ZFS.  I'm in the camp of persons
who use LVM + EXT3.  I just thought the demo looked cool and was
hopeful that ZFS was going to raise the bar for future file systems.

> Growing pools of storage, and snapshots are some of ZFS's killer
> features.  You can do this, somewhat less efficiently, on LVM and XFS
> (or even ext3).  At this point, the jury is out.  Certainly Solaris
> itself is one of the most arcane and esoteric OS's I have ever used.
> GNU helps, once I add 4 different bin folders to my path.  Sigh.

Ya, the bin fold issue isn't the biggest for me.  It's the lame
package management.  Solaris needs to take a lesson from Linux and get
this right.  In the mean time there is Nexenta (gnusolaris.org) --
think Ubuntu with a Solaris kernel.

-Bryan