ZFS demo

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jun 4 11:20:56 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 10:25 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> What's so nifty about ZFS?  Watch this short demo to see for yourself.
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/demos/basics/
>
> ZFS was ported to FreeBSD in 10 days and the up coming MacOS (Leopard)
> will have it too.  Looks awesome.

Just note that FreeBSD's ZFS support is not quite complete.  It's
certainly not what I'd consider enterprise-ready.

Significantly, FreeBSD's implementation does not support ACLs and
extended attributes.  Also, I'm unsure of the status of NFS integration,
which is really essential in managing ZFS exported over NFS, since each
little file system has to have its own export entry in NFS.  The "zfs"
utility handily takes care of this on Solaris, but requires some OS
support.

I have a file server with 12 TB on ZFS, and it's nice and all, but we're
having some significant performance issues.  Sun assures us they can
help us tune it, so we'll see.

My personal opinion on Sun and ZFS is souring over time, and at this
present moment, I think Linux and LVM + XFS probably is good enough for
most people.

Growing pools of storage, and snapshots are some of ZFS's killer
features.  You can do this, somewhat less efficiently, on LVM and XFS
(or even ext3).  At this point, the jury is out.  Certainly Solaris
itself is one of the most arcane and esoteric OS's I have ever used.
GNU helps, once I add 4 different bin folders to my path.  Sigh.

Michael