Favorite DNS?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sun Jul 29 19:30:41 MDT 2007

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> So no.  I wouldn't expect a bind replacement to transparently handle
> named.conf.  But being able to natively read the zones themselves would
> be something I'd expect.  At least if files were the primary storage
> (not a  database).  I understand that under the hood tinydns uses BDB to
> put zone information, so I'm not quite sure the exact relationship with
> the zone files and the database.

FYI: no, tinydns uses CDB (Constant Database) files.  CDBs are
interesting because reading them requires no locking and no
initialization.  For the right application, CDB easily surpasses BDB in
terms of reliability and performance.

Also, Micheal and Andy, may I point out that you're both right from your
own viewpoint.  While tinydns does not need to parse BIND files in order
to be a complete DNS server, it does need to parse BIND files if it
wants to dethrone the king--but that is not its goal.  There is nothing
to argue about.

Shane