Favorite DNS?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Sun Jul 29 11:36:19 MDT 2007

Thus said Michael L Torrie on Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:04:34 MDT:

> > Would you  expect sendmail replacements (qmail,  postfix, etc...) to
> > be able to understand sendmail.cf? :-)
>
> That's a fallacious comparison when it comes right down to it.

How so?  You are claiming  that for djbdns to  be a BIND  replacement it
must read BIND zone files. How  is that different from claiming that for
something  to be  a sendmail  replacement (the  most common  MTA on  the
Internet) that it must understand sendmail.cf?

Is  not the  BIND zone  file simply  one implementation  of storing  DNS
records? Is not the sendmail.cf simply one implementation of configuring
an MTA?  Maybe it  would be  more correct  if I  argued that  a sendmail
replacement  should be  able to  read sendmail's  mail queue?  How about
sendmail's other  configuration files which actually  define things like
virtual domains, relay domains, etc...?

Andy
 11:36am  up 11 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.07, 1.02, 0.62