Favorite DNS?

Andy Bradford amb-plug at bradfords.org
Fri Jul 27 23:26:11 MDT 2007

Thus said Michael L Torrie on Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:10:04 MDT:

> So I guess  I misunderstood what DJB said then.  He's basically saying
> you shouldn't  have aliases to  aliases, right? So nevermind  about my
> other post.

I don't think  this is entirely what  he was trying to say.  If you read
his other discussions  of CNAMEs it becomes more clear,  I believe, that
what he is  saying is that most people don't  really understand what the
true effects of using  a CNAME record are on the  reliability of DNS and
therefore should be avoided. See the following:

Read http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/killa6.html starting  with *A quick overview
of DNS lookups*

Also read http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/notes.html#aliases  (indeed this entire
page is a good read).

And  to  wrap  things  up  a  bit  http://cr.yp.to/im/cname.html  for  a
discussion about CNAMEs in email.

Andy
 11:25pm  up  3:24,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00