Favorite DNS?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Thu Jul 26 08:23:57 MDT 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 12:14 AM, Lonnie Olson wrote:

> Kimball Larsen wrote:
>> So, I've got to handle setting up DNS on a linux box for the first
>> time - done it before on a mac, but used a spiffy interface that
>> hid the icky underpinnings of BIND from me and made it a cinch to
>> set everything up.
>> What server does everyone like here?  I've heard that there are
>> others besides BIND to consier, but not sure which ones are worth
>> looking into.
>
> Depends on your intended use of it.  If you plan to ever include
> "DNS" to your resume you *must* learn to use BIND.  In the general
> IT world DNS = BIND.
>
> If you have few zones with tons of records, and have plenty of
> memory, use rbldnsd.  Especially for maintaining local copies of
> DNS blacklists.
> http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html
>
> If you need easy integration with a database, or easy management,
> and frequent small changes.  Look at MyDNS.  Store your records in
> a MySQL database.
>
> For anything else use BIND.  Best feature set.  Most popular.  De-
> facto standard.  Not very hard to do simple stuff.
>
> BIND rulez!  :)
>
> --lonnie

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions - I went ahead and used
BIND, and the total time it took me to get 18 or so zones configured
correctly was only about 2 hours, including all the reading I did to
understand a) DNS in general and b) BIND's approach in particular.
I'd heard that BIND was a bit of a beast to configure, but 2 hours is
really not all that bad to go from next to zero knowledge to a fully
working DNS.

Thanks!

-- Kimball