Favorite DNS?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Jul 25 00:14:41 MDT 2007

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> So, I've got to handle setting up DNS on a linux box for the first time
> - done it before on a mac, but used a spiffy interface that hid the icky
> underpinnings of BIND from me and made it a cinch to set everything up.
>
> What server does everyone like here?  I've heard that there are others
> besides BIND to consier, but not sure which ones are worth looking into.

Depends on your intended use of it.  If you plan to ever include "DNS"
to your resume you *must* learn to use BIND.  In the general IT world
DNS = BIND.

If you have few zones with tons of records, and have plenty of memory,
use rbldnsd.  Especially for maintaining local copies of DNS blacklists.
http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html

If you need easy integration with a database, or easy management, and
frequent small changes.  Look at MyDNS.  Store your records in a MySQL
database.

For anything else use BIND.  Best feature set.  Most popular.  De-facto
standard.  Not very hard to do simple stuff.

BIND rulez!  :)

--lonnie