Favorite DNS?

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Tue Jul 24 11:58:58 MDT 2007

I agree with a couple of these other guys that BIND is an important
skill to know if you want "admin" on your resume.  It is widely used,
and does a great job of everything you will want for DNS up to a few
thousand zones.

At that point, it becomes slow to start, since it has to read in every
zone during it's start, and management can become cumbersome.  I have
used bind up to about 120,000 zones, and it would take about an hour to
start.  Once started, it worked fine for a while, then would pound
memory, or have odd hiccups, etc.

We moved to MyDNS, since everything is in mysql, with a MyDNS cache and
a mysql cache, most of the well-used zones are always ready, and it
starts in about 2 seconds.  That is saying something since we now have
over 330,000 zones in it.  It is an incredibly good DNS server for that
many records.  It is more work than BIND since you have to deal with
mysql as well, but worth it for the advantages in handling large amounts
of zones.

Of course, that is just for authoritative.  MyDNS isn't a resolver.  For
resolvers, I haven't found anything that will do better than BIND
(assuming you don't use the Redhat version, it's terrible).

I would suggest BIND for small installs, and MyDNS for large.  If you
want to play with those lesser used DNS servers, go for it, but keep in
mind that BIND is a resume builder; the rest are not.  And BIND will do
everything you need or want.

-Steve