Favorite DNS?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jul 23 21:10:44 MDT 2007

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> So, I've got to handle setting up DNS on a linux box for the first time
> - done it before on a mac, but used a spiffy interface that hid the icky
> underpinnings of BIND from me and made it a cinch to set everything up.
>
> What server does everyone like here?  I've heard that there are others
> besides BIND to consier, but not sure which ones are worth looking into.

I just use BIND.  It's standard and lately relatively secure.  However
it's not trivial to configure.  But if you want to do any advanced
things like dynamic updates, split-horizon resolution, etc, BIND is
probably the best bet.  If you plan on doing IT for a living, BIND is a
necessary skill to have on the resume, in my opinion.

There are a lot of other, probably better alternatives for most uses
though.  Mostly for philosophical reasons, I steer clear of any software
written by Dan Bernstein.  I don't happen to like his style and none of
his code is open source, certainly not free software.  His claim of
bug-free code sounds an awful lot like a tiger-repelling rock to me.

So my advice is to bite the bullet and learn bind.  It's actually not
difficult at all.  I got two zones plus replication (zone transfers to a
slave server) up and running in about 15 minutes.  Check out examples
online.  Like a perl script, there's probably no such thing as an
original BIND configuration.

Michael

P.S. I also happen to use and like sendmail too, at least in the
enterprise, so I'm probably a masochist.  I do happen to run postfix for
my own personal e-mail needs.  So maybe I'm not after all.