Play Audio on Headless Server?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Jul 18 09:35:12 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> Ok, so everyone will probably get sick of all my questions this week,
> but I've been tossed into a bit of unfamiliar territory (I'm a
> programmer, not a sysadmin) this week with setting up a new server
> here at work.  One of the functions they need this server to do is to
> play our hold music for the phone system.  The old server that this
> is replacing simply played music out of itunes (yes, the old server
> is a mac mini) and an audio cable connects the mac to the phone system.
>
> So, the new server is headless, and I don't have X installed at all.
> What sort of solutions are there out there that I can use to just
> start music playing out of a pre-defined playlist when the system
> boots and just have it play continuously forever?

There is a plethora of console audio programs. Try searching freshmeat.net.
On my box I found:

play (from sox)
mpg123
playsound (from sdl-sound)
mplayer
aplay (from alsa)
alsaplayer (from alsa)
sndfile-play (from libsndfile)

libmtp has a dozen utilities for managing playlists with an mtp-capable device

nick