Anti Spam Landscape

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jul 17 23:26:44 MDT 2007

Clint Savage wrote:
> Isn't dspam and spamassassin doing the same thing?  Do you see better
> results when running them together?

Yes I do see much better results.  dspam and spamassassin work very
differently.  dspam works exclusively by using baysian analysis of
tokens.  Spamassassin employs any number of heuristics.  Spamassassin
often can catch special forms of spam, like the PDF spams that are going
around (because of simple matching rules).  Dspam is pretty good once
you train it, but it never can get more than 80% for me.  Spamassassin
gets the rest.  Spamassassin is also a heavy process, much heavier than
dspam.  So taking the strain off of it by using dspam makes my server
much much happier.