Anti Spam Landscape

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:00:39 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 16:47 -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> So, I'm setting up a new mail server from scratch, using ubuntu on a
> new, fast server.
>
> In the past I've used spamassassin + postgrey for anti-spam, but
> lately it's not keeping up anymore.  I've run across DSpam, and
> wondering if it's any better.

I use a 3-pronged approach:
1. greylisting (I use sqlgrey wiht postfix)
2. dspam
3. spamassassin.

Between the three, my spam is down to just 4 messages a day or so, with
probably 100 messages a day stopped in their tracks.

DSpam is only a good solution if the users are willing to train it.
Once you do, it's quite effective.

> Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other?

Probably.