Raising Java-induced over-engineering to a new level

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Jul 16 10:02:57 MDT 2007

Troy Wolfe wrote:
> I am no programmer, but it seems that you could make an equivalent
> joke in
> just about any programming language if you put enough effort into it.

The fact is that some Java programs that I've seen *are* written like
that. Obviously, that sort of code is extremely flexible and
"enterprisey", which can be valuable in cases where flexibility and
"enterprisiness" are important.

On a side rant, the Sun marketing machine seems to have realized that
they saturated the 2% of all software that actually requires
"enterprisey" features, so they started pushing concepts like this out
to the rest of the world. And guess what? Lots of developers took the
bait. This could have contributed to the popularity of language
communities that encourage simpler approaches (the Python community
comes to mind). Oh well.

--Dave