Raising Java-induced over-engineering to a new level

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Jul 16 09:53:29 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 09:19 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 7/14/07, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> > Of course we all know Java is renowned for lending itself well to
> > over-engineering and pattern abuse.  This little clip is amazing!
> > Without comments it's still a little under 100 lines of code!  To top it
> > off, it's not even thread safe they tell me.
> >
> > If I got paid by the lines of code I'd switch to Java for sure. :)
>
> You're that full of venom towards Java that you can't spot an obvious
> joke when you see one?  This program does the same as the following in
> Java:

Yup I hate Java.  But whatever led you to believe that I did not
recognize is as a joke?

> public class Main {
>   public static void main(String... args) {
>     System.out.println("Hello World");
>   }
> }

Amazing!  I have never seen a simple Java "Hello, World" program before.

> It's called satire.  Look into it.

Looks like it hit pretty close to home for you.  The best satire always
does.  Hit pigeons flutter, they tell me. :)  Furthermore satire always
contains some grains of truth.  This little (big) example is a case in
point. :)