Exec permissions on a thumb drive

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sun Jul 15 08:23:44 MDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-15 at 07:52 -0600, Brian Hawkins wrote:
> I have a feeling this has something to do with how my computer mounts the
> thumb drive.  What can I do to fix it?

man mount

You'll find that you can specify default file permissions for files
stored on FAT. You'll probably have to make non-executables executable,
an extremely ugly and possibly dangerous solution.

A better solution would be to only put data files on FAT. You're not
planning on running the executable in Windows are you? Non-linux
filesystems don't and most can't understand Linux file permissions.
Perhaps you could partition the thumb drive. FAT for data files. ext3
for files that will only be used in Linux.