moving ports

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 14 12:06:30 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 10:45 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Ah, I have that headache at home too, for google apps. Perhaps I should just
> focus on one machine, on Zimbra, get it running and put my sons' email and
> wife's email on Zimbra..and then I won't have to bother with google apps
> (ga), which seems to be a pain anyway.

It's no more pain with google apps than with your other system.  Once we
get this proxy thing figured out, it can easily be adapted to work with
google's stuff.  But back to your original problem...

> Well, I could easily register a different domain, but can I have two domains
> here, currently 'fyrenice.com' for my exim4 managed box, and then something
> else, a new domain for the Zimbra-managed box? Would that work over the same
> cable modem connection?

You can definitely have multiple domain names that point to the same set
of servers.  You'd still need an smtp proxy, or at least a server that
knows to relay the other domain.

Something you might try is setting up a subdomain of fyrenice.com.  One
you won't actually use for public e-mail.  Then in your mail proxy you
take the address at fyrenice.com you want to go to exim4 and say it's an
aliases for address at exim.fyrenice.com, which you can easily handle using
a relay table (matches domains with relay servers).  So the message
would hit your proxy, be matched in the aliases table, and then be
routed to the proper smtp server, according to the entry in the relay
table (I'm using sendmail terms here, but exim could probably do it
too).  This little trick would work with google apps too; I'm working on
that.  Note that you don't need a third smtp server.  Your exim4 could
be the main MX for your domain and your subdomain.  Since exim4 would be
set to understand it handles, say, @exim.fyrenice.com addresses,
messages that resolve via the alias table to @exim.fyrenice.com are
delivered local, but relays everything else to your Zimbra.

Michael