moving ports

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Jul 14 09:32:50 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 17:40 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:

> Here's my dilemma. I run exim4 and manage my own mail.
>
> How do I, or can I even, keep my email as is, with a different incoming and
> outgoing port, and forward 25, 110 over to the zimbra installation on david,
> so that the status quo works, and the zimbra box too?

This is remarkably similar to my google apps for domains needs.  If I
understand your dilemma, you want certain e-mail accounts to be
delivered to the machine running Zimbra, and certain accounts (of the
same domain) to be delivered to your exim4 server, correct?

If so then the only way is to have one smtp server that initially
receives all the mail and then relays it, based on account name, to the
appropriate real mail server (which servers won't be actually listening
on the internet).  This is a bit complicated.  I haven't yet figured out
the specifics of the smtp server setup required, but this is the general
idea.  A document that begins to address this for sendmail specifically
is http://aput.net/~jheiss/sendmail/proxy.shtml .  But dealing with
multiple destinations for the same domain is tricky.

Now if you each have a different domain, then it becomes a lot easier to
route mail based on e-mail domain.  I know that it's trivial to do this
with sendmail (I'd have to read the docs though).  I'm sure exim4 could
do it too.