Samba password server?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:59:43 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 09:54 -0600, Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 09:44 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> > Winbind might still require the posix user to be in the passwd file,
> > though, as Samba has no way of describing to a unix machine where the
> > posix home directory path should be.  I'm not sure how they do that.
>
> That's what NSS is for. It allows for drop-in replacements of passwd,
> group, etc. You will need an NSS module for winbind. I would assume
> there is one, but I haven't ever used winbind. I have used LDAP for this
> and it's worked great.

I found some more information on winbind and nss:

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:rPsDg4jk03YJ:www.linux-mag.com/id/156/+winbind+nss+homedirectory&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

(the original article is now subscription only.

The key is  in the "template homedir" smb.conf parameter, as well as the
"idmap uid" and "idmap gid" parameters.

Michael