Samba password server?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:44:33 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 09:20 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 16:33 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> >> The problem I am experiencing is getting the Linux machine to do
> >> likewise.  I following this "Using Samba to join a Windows NT domain"
> >> tutorial [2], and was able to have the Linux box join (or so I thought):
> >
> > Are you setting up pam and nsswitch to use winbind?
> > http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/winbind.html
>

> Interesting.  The tutorial did not make any mention of this path.  I
> will look into the "winbind" solution.

When they talk about "Using Samba to join a Windows NT domain," they are
most likely talking about joining a samba server to a domain (which
could be another samba server), which allows samba to authenticate users
and perform rid mappings using the domain.  This is useful if you wanted
to set up a samba server to serve windows  shares in an existing domain.
But it has nothing to do with Unix authentication and unix uids, gids,
home directories, etc.  For that you need winbind.

Winbind might still require the posix user to be in the passwd file,
though, as Samba has no way of describing to a unix machine where the
posix home directory path should be.  I'm not sure how they do that.

If you really want to implement a solution that properly serves both
windows and unix machines, you'll need to use LDAP (where Samba uses
LDAP as it's store also).

Michael