Samba password server?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Wed Jul 4 16:33:56 MDT 2007

I have 3 windows boxes and 2 linux boxes on a small home network that I
am attempting to consolidate the password authentication management.  My
desire was to create a Samba Domain Controller, and have the Windows and
Linux boxes join this domain.

I followed a Samba domain controller setup tutorial [1].  I was able to
get the Samba domain controller up and running.  I was also able to have
the Windows machines join the domain.  I can login to the Windows box
using the domain user credentials, and this appears to work without any
problems.

[root at PDC ~]# uname -a
Linux PDC 2.6.18-8.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jun 14 17:46:09 EDT 2007 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

The problem I am experiencing is getting the Linux machine to do
likewise.  I following this "Using Samba to join a Windows NT domain"
tutorial [2], and was able to have the Linux box join (or so I thought):

[root at test ~]# uname -a
Linux test 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 #1 Tue Mar 14 15:48:33 EST 2006 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux

  [root at test ~]# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
  [global]
    workgroup = MYDOMAIN
    security = domain
    password server = PDC
    encrypt passwords = yes

  [root at test ~]# net join MYDOMAIN -U Administrator
  Password:
  Joined domain MYDOMAIN.

But when I attempt to login to the test machine using the same user that
worked for the Windows machine, I get and "authentication failure" error
message.  What step am I missing with the Linux box?

Thanks,
Kenneth

[1] http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10

[2] http://linuxgazette.net/105/price.html